Sunday, August 3, 2008

New Stuff

Well, I have a tendency to do that. Start something and not finish it right away. We've had a lot of stuff come up. We just finished up a 3 week intense program at the Kaufman Center with Nancy Kaufman and her staff. It was true to it's word, it was very intense. However, we made a lot of progress. James is now regularly speaking in 3+ word phrases. He corrected his "Dye Dye" to "Bye Bye" and now says "Yes" instead of "yeah" as well as "Baby" instead of "Beb". These are just a small, small fraction of the things we were able to accomplish. They may seem so small to others, but to us, It literally brings tears to my eyes each time I hear them come out of his mouth correctly. Each time he spontaneously tells us details about something random. Each time he talks to us about his brother or his friends. Each time, it is as new and as exciting as the first. I can't speak highly enough about our experience there. On the downside, We did discover that the Apraxia has affected more than just his verbal motor plans, it's affected his large and fine motor plans as well. We have a whole host of things we need to work on, but we know how, and knowledge is power. I feel lucky to have this information now, and not have missed it until he was in first or second grade and have it be too late to do much of anything about it.

Garrett is growing like a weed. He is walking, has been since the first of June. He has a few words under his belt. Mama, Up, Down, Button, Cat, Book, to name a few. I'm trying really hard to push for early language so that I will feel a little more confident when he's 18 months, 24 months, etc. I want to enjoy these times, not analyse and worry if he is going to be affected by apraxia too.

I hope to go back and post more information about our time at the Kaufman Center. It's so overwhelming to go back and re hash and re write everything, But I know that God is giving me the experiences for a reason. I am supposed to do something with it and I will figure out what that is in time.

No comments: